Search by Keyword
Al Kitaab fi Ta'allum al Arabiyya with DVDs: A Textbook for Arabic: Part Two, Second Edition
Publisher: Georgetown University Press
ISBN: 9781589010963 (1589010965)
Paperback, 8.5x11 with 3 DVDs, 452 pages
This new edition includes three DVDs bound into the book that feature contextualized vocabulary, cultural background and illustrations, and new listening comprehension materials with each lesson. Newly recorded colloquial audio and video materials also accompany each lesson and continue the story of Maha and Khalid and their travels to Cairo with brief explanatory vocabulary and notes provided in the text. The appendices include grammatical reference charts, an Arabic–English glossary, and a grammar index. The materials cover approximately 150 contact hours of instruction, and students who complete Part Two should reach advanced proficiency.
Each lesson in Part Two centers on a text that deals with a social, historical, literary, or cultural issue. In addition to the main reading text, students will also find additional authentic texts for reading and listening comprehension, vocabulary and grammar exercises, close listening and speaking activities, and cultural background for the reading.
The newly revised and repackaged Part Two has been restructured to reflect pedagogical developments over the last eight years, updated with new authentic reading and listening texts, and expanded with new video materials. In addition to the speaking, listening, and writing skills emphasized throughout each lesson, more time and emphasis is placed on activating vocabulary and structure with new activities for inside and outside the classroom.
- Provides basic texts of printed media to help students connect the written and aural/oral aspects of Arabic
- Features intensive reading that is focused on grammar and pronunciation-not just comprehension
- Contains substantial amounts of drills and exercises to help students memorize and gain active control of an expanded vocabulary
- Explores the root and pattern system of Arabic grammar and complex sentence structure using vocabulary, complex texts, and translation exercises
- Develops writing skills at the paragraph level to encourage synthesis of vocabulary and grammar
- Provides explicit instructions to students and instructors on drills and activities, including recommendations on appropriate exercises for inside and outside the classroom
- New interactive DVDs contain reading comprehension texts with new material and new listening comprehension material
- DVDs present cultural background with illustrations and continues the story of Maha and Khalid using both Egyptian Colloquial Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic
“The student hears, sees and reads Arabic, and learning is kept close to an authentic linguistic and cultural experience.” — ADFL Bulletin
Submit a Review...
Click Add to Cart to order this product.
Email email@example.com with any questions about this or any of our other products.
Note: All prices in US Dollars